Hi, How Can We Help You?

Working Visa In Canada

Working Visa

As an international student, a candidate is eligible to work in Canada (both, on and off-campus) along with his/her studies for 20 hours a week, and during the semester breaks, the students can work for 40 hours a week, legally. International students can work off campus without a permit, provided that all of the following statements are true:


    • they hold a valid study permit
    • they are full-time students enrolled at a DESIGNATED LEARNING INSTITUTION (DLI)
    • the program in which they are enrolled is a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program, or a vocational training program at the secondary level offered in Quebec
    • the program of study is at least 6 months in duration and leads to a degree, diploma or certificate


Note: The eligibility requirements for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) differ from off-campus work eligibility requirements. Please see the PGWPP PAGE for more information.


Certain programs in Canada also provide students with the opportunity to get some work experience.


Upon the completion of the full time 1-year program, the candidate shall receive an Open Work Permit of one year and would be required to work exactly for a year in his/her field of study in order to be eligible to file the Permanent Residence. On the other hand, all the candidates with a minimum 2-year full-time program shall receive the Open Work Permit of three years and would be required to work for a year in his/her field of study to file the Permanent Residence. The students need to apply for the Post Graduate Work Permit within 180 days of the completion of their full-time studies.

Check your eligibility, to be eligible for a work permit

  • You must have a valid study permit.
  • Intended employment must be an essential part of your program of study in Canada.
  • Your employment must be part of your academic, vocational or professional training program offered by a DESIGNATED LEARNING INSTITUTION, certified by a letter from a responsible academic official of the institution.
  • Your co-op or internship employment cannot form more than 50% (percent) of the total program of study.

You will not be eligible to work during your studies if:

  • You study English or French as a second language (ESL/FSL), oryou participate in general interest or preparatory courses.

What is Internship & Co-op Programs? If you are looking forward to gaining valuable international work experience while you are studying in Canada, a co-op or internship program will be the right way for you. Many Canadian Colleges and Universities offer these work placement programs as a means of enhancing the curriculum with real-world industry experience. Typically, students spend alternating semesters learning in the classroom and then applying that knowledge through on the job work in their field of study. Co-op or internship programs are an excellent way to:

  • Make supplementary money for each upcoming academic semester;
  • Bolster your resume with work experience; and
  • Gain invaluable business contacts.
  1. Agriculture, Forestry, Fishing and Hunting
  2. Mining, Quarrying, Marine, and Oil & Gas Extraction
  3. Manufacturing (including food, paper, metal, machinery, etc.)
  4. Wholesale Trade & Retail Trade
  5. Transportation and Warehousing
  6. Information and Cultural Industries
  7. Banking, Finance and Insurance
  8. Real Estate, Rental and Leasing
  9. Tele / Wireless Communication
  10. Professional, Scientific and Technical Services
  11. Engineering & Technology
  12. Management of Companies & Enterprises
  13. Administrative and Support, Waste Management and Remediation Services
  14. Educational Services
  15. Health Care and Social Assistance
  16. Arts, Entertainment and Recreation
  17. Hospitality, Hotel and Food Services
  18. Gaming & Multimedia Animation
  19. Public Administration
  20. Software
  21. Digital Media
    1. Financial Managers and Accountants
    2. Skilled Tradespeople – Chefs, Horticulturalists, Electricians, Carpenters, Plumbers, Aviation Technicians, Automotive Service Technicians, Industrial Mechanics, Tool, Die Makers
    3. Software and Mobile Developers
    4. Registered Nurses
    5. Psychologists, Social Workers and Counsellors
    6. Medical Technologists or Technicians
    7. Human Resource Specialists or Managers
    8. Pharmacists
    9. Audiologists, Speech Therapists and Physiotherapists
    10. Construction Managers
Open chat
How can I help You